Nurse`s family wants answers, writes to hospital, radio
London: The family of an Indian nurse who was found dead after being caught in a royal prank call has written to the British hospital that employed her, demanding answers to several questions surrounding the incident and her condition before her death.
The grieving family has assembled a set of 60 questions which they have posed to the hospital as well as to the parent company of the Australian radio station that played the prank as they seek answers to the circumstances surrounding her death.
The letters were sent by Labour MP Keith Vaz, who is acting as a spokesman for the family at their request, with some of the questions suggesting the hospital may not have taken extra security measures during the stay of a pregnant Kate Middleton, according to a report in the Daily Mail.
"Was there any indication that Jacintha was under increased pressure or stress in the weeks preceding her death?" asks the family in one of the questions.
A question also suggests that the nurse may have been involved in a dispute with a colleague a few weeks before the Duchess was admitted while another implies that the 46-year-old may have been `spoken to` by the hospital`s matron on phone a day after the prank call.
Saldanha`s body was discovered on December 7, and the notes left by her suggested that she may have been under pressure after she fell for the prank.
While 40 questions have been directed to the King Edward VII`s Hospital, where Saldanha worked, another 20 have been posed to Southern Cross Austereo, the parent company of 2Day FM, whose DJs were behind the prank.
The letter to the company asks why nobody from the company or the radio station attempted to contact the family since the hoax call led to the tragedy. It also asks if there was "any evidence" that 2Day FM staff called the hospital five times to alert them that they were about to broadcast the prank.
"On December 11 the family handed you a list of questions that specifically relate to the hospital. They have not had a written confirmation of the answers. They now have additional questions (and) would like answers... As soon as possible," wrote Vaz in a letter to John Lofthouse, the chief executive of the hospital.
The paper said Saldanha`s husband Benedict Barboza, son Junal and adopted daughter Lisha have returned to Britain after her funeral in India.
The report also said that the nurse had made two attempts to kill herself during a visit to India last December -- first with an overdose of pills after which she had to be rushed to a hospital and nine days later by jumping off a building.
She spent several days in intensive care before receiving psychiatric treatment and being prescribed antidepressants, the report said.
Her family said the nurse was ashamed after taking the
hoax call during which she had revealed confidential medical information about Kate who was being treated for acute morning sickness.
The report said she was so ashamed that she did not tell her family about the episode, just asking her husband to watch the news.
"The first her husband knew that she was the victim of the hoax call was when police told him she was dead. Nobody in the family knew," said her younger brother Naveen Saldanha, 42.
"They spoke several times that week but she did not tell him or the kids anything about it".
A hospital spokesman declined to comment on reports that Ms Saldanha had previously tried to commit suicide.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!