Obama calls Hatoyama
Washington: US President Barack Obama
called Japanese Prime Minister Yukio Hatoyama and the two
discussed the ongoing tensions in the Korean peninsula, Iran`s
nuclear programme and bilateral ties.
Obama and Hatoyama also expressed satisfaction with
plans to move a US Marine base to a less crowded part of the
Japanese island of Okinawa.
"The two leaders condemned the North Korean torpedo
attack on the ROKS Cheonan and pledged to cooperate closely
with the Republic of Korea, including in support of
appropriate action by the UN Security Council," the White
House said after the telephone call between the two leaders.
"The President and the Prime Minister called on North
Korea to end its provocative behaviour towards its neighbours
and to abide by its commitment to eliminate its nuclear
weapons program and to fulfill its other international
obligations," it said.
On Iran, Obama stressed the importance of
international efforts to ensure that Tehran complies with its
nonproliferation obligations, and the leaders agreed to
continue close coordination in the UN Security Council.
The two leaders agreed that recent events in the
region further underscored the importance of the US-Japan
"They reiterated their commitment to use this 50th
anniversary year to strengthen cooperation under the US-Japan
Treaty of Mutual Security and Cooperation," it said.
"They expressed satisfaction with the progress made by
the two sides in reaching an operationally viable and
politically sustainable plan to relocate the Marine Corps Air
Station Futenma," the White House said.
Obama noted that he looked forward to seeing Hatoyama
at the upcoming G-8 and G-20 meetings in Canada next month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Don't give any importance to Ramgopal Yadav's remarks: Mulayam Singh Yadav
- Watch: Report on delayed development in Ayodhya
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- India vs New Zealand, 4th ODI: As it happened...