Obama campaigns for New Jersey Governor
Camden: In a final campaign swing on behalf of the only governor seeking re-election this fall, President Barack Obama boosted Democratic Governor Jon Corzine`s bid in an effort to avoid a potentially embarrassing setback in the off-year elections.
Obama said the incumbent New Jersey Governor was a key component for the White House to make good on its political promises.
"He`s one of the best partners I have in the White House. We work together," Obama said. "We know our work is far from over."
Obama drew 6,500 people at a rally in Camden and another 11,000 later in Newark, according to White House estimates. He urged supporters to work hard to give Corzine another term in office so he can work with Washington to help repair a brittle economy. A Corzine loss would be seen as a political embarrassment for the White House.
Obama tagged Republican leadership and lax regulations for the economic crisis and dismissed GOP candidate Chris Christie`s criticism of Corzine. Their race is seen as a
tossup, and a Monmouth University/Gannett New Jersey Poll released Sunday found Christie backed by 43 per cent of likely voters and Corzine by 42 per cent.
"It wasn`t a consequence of Obama policies or Corzine policies that we went into this hole," the president said during a raucous campaign stop in Camden. "There seems to be some selective memory going on here."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part II
- Panel discussion on how Pampore attack destabilized India's relation with Pakistan - Part III
- Hafiz Saeed warns of jihad to free Pak rivers from India
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- Security alert! Islamic State militants release 'kill list', target 4000 people including 285 Indians
- Nephew Krushna Abhishek apologises to Govinda! – Know why
- 'Tulsidas ji pranam' — Read Bihar's topper Ruby Rai's 'shocking' essay on famous poet
- Why red snow of Arctic is a 'red alert' for the environment?
- Manohar Parrikar says Pampore attack an act of frustration; orders probe