Obama fined for ducking London congestion charge
London: United States President Barack Obama has been fined GBP 120 for not paying the congestion charge during his state visit to the United Kingdom in May.
According to The Sun, Obama was hit with the penalty for his motorcade in London.
London Mayor Boris Johnson had wanted the GBP 10 congestion fee to be paid for the President`s armour-plated limousine and all other cars during his visit.
Johnson is understood to have raised the issue with Obama at a Buckingham Palace banquet during his visit.
The supposed transgression is challenged by the US, which sees the charge as a tax from which diplomatic vehicles are exempt under the 1960 Vienna Convention.
Transport For London, meanwhile, has a policy of charging on any and all vehicles with foreign plates, even diplomatic ones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender