Obama orders $25 mn in aid to Libyan rebels
Washington: US President Barack Obama on Tuesday formally ordered a drawdown of USD 25 million in urgent, non-lethal American aid to Libyan rebels fighting Muammar Gaddafi.
The grant of funds to Libya`s Transitional National Council, which had been signalled last week, was contained in a memo from the President to Defence Secretary Robert Gates and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.
Officials said last week that the aid could include vehicles, fuel trucks, ambulances, medical equipment, protective vests, binoculars, and radios.
The formal granting of US aid came on a day when British Defence Secretary Liam Fox said in Washington that Libya`s rebels had gained "momentum" on the battlefield and that Gaddafi`s regime was on the "back foot”.
After nearly three hours of talks at the Pentagon with Gates, Fox painted an optimistic picture of the Libya conflict despite fears on both sides of the Atlantic that the war could turn into an open-ended stalemate.
A NATO spokeswoman meanwhile said that the alliance was considering sending a civilian "contact point" to Libya`s eastern rebel bastion of Benghazi in order to improve political relations with the opposition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum