Obama praises economic reforms of Italian PM
Washington: The US President, Barack Obama,
has praised the economic reforms initiated by Italian Prime
Minister Mario Monti, noting that his measures have been able
to generate enough confidence in the European market.
"We appreciate the strong start that he has embarked on
and the very effective measures that he is promoting inside
of Italy," Obama said in joint media availability with the
visiting Italian Prime Minister at the White House.
"You`ve already seen because of his stewardship and his
experience and his knowledge of economics, that not only has
he boosted confidence within Italy about a reform agenda, but
he`s also been able to generate confidence throughout Europe
and in the marketplace that Italy has a plan that takes
seriously its fiscal responsibilities, but also emphasises the
need for structural reforms that can promote growth," he said.
The two leaders also discussed the current situation
"I emphasised to him how much we appreciate the
sacrifices and outstanding work that are made by Italian
forces in Afghanistan, and we reaffirmed our commitment to the
Lisbon schedule in which we transition to full Afghan lead by
the end of 2014," he said.
The Italian Prime Minister said the two leaders discussed
a wide range of issues.
"We agreed on the strategy in order for Europe to
consolidate its budgetary position, to cope with the financial
tensions, and, in particular, you heard the President mention
the importance of adequate firewalls and also the imperative
of growth -- a growth which can only come, particularly in
Europe, from structural transformations giving more role to
productivity, enhanced efficiency, the Italian Prime Minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez