Obama praises economic reforms of Italian PM
Washington: The US President, Barack Obama,
has praised the economic reforms initiated by Italian Prime
Minister Mario Monti, noting that his measures have been able
to generate enough confidence in the European market.
"We appreciate the strong start that he has embarked on
and the very effective measures that he is promoting inside
of Italy," Obama said in joint media availability with the
visiting Italian Prime Minister at the White House.
"You`ve already seen because of his stewardship and his
experience and his knowledge of economics, that not only has
he boosted confidence within Italy about a reform agenda, but
he`s also been able to generate confidence throughout Europe
and in the marketplace that Italy has a plan that takes
seriously its fiscal responsibilities, but also emphasises the
need for structural reforms that can promote growth," he said.
The two leaders also discussed the current situation
"I emphasised to him how much we appreciate the
sacrifices and outstanding work that are made by Italian
forces in Afghanistan, and we reaffirmed our commitment to the
Lisbon schedule in which we transition to full Afghan lead by
the end of 2014," he said.
The Italian Prime Minister said the two leaders discussed
a wide range of issues.
"We agreed on the strategy in order for Europe to
consolidate its budgetary position, to cope with the financial
tensions, and, in particular, you heard the President mention
the importance of adequate firewalls and also the imperative
of growth -- a growth which can only come, particularly in
Europe, from structural transformations giving more role to
productivity, enhanced efficiency, the Italian Prime Minister
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened