Obama, Romney campaign reaches out to Indian-Americans
Washington: In a very close Presidential Election where every single vote counts, both the Obama and Romney campaigns have been making special effort to reach out to the Indian-American community.
The community, which numbers more than three million according to the latest census, is being reached through full page ads in local Indian-American ethnic newspapers.
The Obama campaign has also developed flyers in Hindi which is being distributed either through e-mail or being printed in large numbers by his supporters.
"Barack Obama is not just a President for some of us; he is fighting for all of us," says a full page advertisement placed by the Obama Campaign in `India This Week` and `Express India` - which are published from the Greater Washington Area; that has one of the largest concentration of Indian-Americans in Washington, Maryland and Virginia. According to 2010 Census, more than 125,000 Indian Americans live in this area.
The Northern California Asian Pacific Islanders Americans placed another full page ad in the India West - an Indian-American daily from the west coast - in support of Mitt Romney.
"Ready to Go to Work. Vision for a better America. Vote Mitt Romney for President. Promising all my heart to restore strength to America. We will be strong again," said the ad.
Similarly, the 80-20 National Asian American PAC has placed full page advertisement in India Abroad newspaper: the most widely circulated and most prestigious Indian-American ethnic newspaper in the US.
Arguing that Obama is the first US President to have done so much for the Asian-American community, the 80-20 National Asian American PAC for the past few weeks through their full page ads have been urging Indian-Americans to vote for Obama.
In its flyer translated in Hindi, the Obama campaign lists out its achievements for the Asian American community and lashes out at Mitt Romney and his policies.
The Hindi flyer argues that Obama has more than doubled the number of Asian American federal judges.
Obama appointed unprecedented number of (four) Asian American Cabinet members - Steven Chu (Energy Secretary), Gary Locke (the former Commerce Secretary), Eric Shinseki (Secretary of veterans Affairs) and Chris Lu (the Cabinet Secretary).
According to the 2010 census, the tri-state area of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut has the largest concentration of Indian Americans in the US. More than half a million Indian Americans live here.
According to a recent poll conducted by the National Asian American Survey, an overwhelming majority of Indian Americans support Obama.
The new poll conducted among 86 Indian Americans between September 21 and October 13, reported that 64 percent of Indian Americans are for Obama, eight percent support Romney, and while 27 percent is still undecided.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered