Obama shows faith in Gen Allen amidst probe
Washington: Despite being under attack, General John Allen has retained the pivotal trust of his President Barack Obama.
America`s top commander in Afghanistan is being probed for his alleged "inappropriate communication" with a woman linked to former CIA director David Petraeus, who resigned abruptly last week over an extramarital affair.
Allen will continue to command the forces while under investigation.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said, "He (President Obama) has faith in General Allen" and added that he was doing a fine job in Afghanistan.
Earlier, Obama had agreed to put on hold the nomination of Gen Allen as the next commander of the US European Command. His confirmation hearing was scheduled for Thursday.
Obama had nominated General Joseph Dunford, Assistant Commandant of the Marine Corps, to succeed General Allen at ISAF. Dunford`s confirmation hearing, however, is as per schedule on Thursday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- DNA: Encouraging the traditional Indian habit of eating food with hands