On day of her 50th, fans gather to remember Diana
London: Admirers of the late Princess Diana
gathered outside Kensington Palace on Frida, a bright sunny day
that would have been the troubled royal`s 50th birthday.
Cards, a cake, a collage and other mementos were among
the gifts left at the gates of Kensington Palace, where Diana
once lived an echo of the massive, makeshift memorial set up
there following her 1997 death in a Paris car crash.
"She would`ve been so popular still. Everyone would
have been here to help celebrate," said Kathy Martin, a
49-year-old childcare worker from Australia. "We`ll never get
to see her grow old."
Martin was one of several hardcore Diana loyalists at
the gates a testament to the hold the princess still has on
many fans. They were joined by passers-by, tourists and other
admirers, many of whom left cards.
Although her public image was the "People`s Princess,"
Diana died at a time of turmoil in her life. A discreet and
lengthy romance with heart surgeon Hasnat Khan had recently
ended; her relationship with wealthy playboy Dodi Fayed, who
died with her in the accident, was less than two months old.
Martin said it was probably because Diana died young at only 36 that she and others were still so drawn to her
"Marilyn Monroe was an icon, Grace Kelly was an icon,
and Princess Diana was an icon," she said. "They all died
young. They`ll be remembered as princesses beautiful, radiant,
John Loughrey, a 56-year-old who attends just about
every Diana-themed event, was the man behind the custom-made
cake bearing her name in pink. He said Diana was "just like a
"The press followed her everywhere and the people
followed her everywhere," he said. "Diana`s still here in
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- How will the rift in Samajwadi Party affect UP politics?
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees