Osama deserved fair trial not execution: Iran official
Pretoria: Iranian human rights chief Mohammad Javad Larijani on Thursday said al Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden deserved a fair trial and not what he termed a “unilateral execution” by American forces.
“This is banned by international law. It is against fairness and justice. Even the most notorious terrorist should be put on trial. He should have a fair trial. A way to defend himself,” said Larijani, the head of Iran’s Supreme Council for Human Rights.
His comments came after a meeting with South African Deputy Foreign Minister Ebrahim Ebrahim.
Bin Laden was shot dead on May 02 during a raid by US commandos on a heavily fortified compound north of Islamabad, Pakistan.
He was believed to have been the mastermind behind the September 11, 2001 attacks on the World Trade Centre in New York and the Pentagon in which thousands of people died.
Larijani claimed that Washington had helped “these groups” for years before the September 11, attacks.
“Iran was fighting al Qaeda years before 9/11 and the United States was helping these groups for years,” he said, adding that after 9/11 these groups became the epitome of evil and accusations were made against them.
“We are not going to clean them up. Terrorism should be fought all over the world,” Larijani said, while lashing out at those countries that considered themselves “leaders in the fight against terrorism”.
“Countries who consider themselves the flag leaders of fighting terrorism are unfortunately making their capitals the best havens for flourishing terrorism. This is wrong,” he said.
“No country in the world should put itself in the position to interrogate a person, to indict a person, to pass judgment and to put it into action unilaterally.”
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof