Outrage over Oklahoma church’s display of Jesus with penis
Washington: Churchgoers in Oklahoma are reportedly outraged with a crucifix in a Catholic church that they say shows an image of genitalia on Jesus.
According to NewsOk.com, the crucifix, which hangs above the church’s main altar, has caused a deep divide among parishioners at St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.
“There are a couple people who have left the parish,” Fox News quoted Rev. Philip Seeton as telling the website.
“There are people in the parish who don’t like it and have stayed,” he said.
Some parishioners say that they have a problem with what appears to be a large penis covering Jesus’ abdominal area.
But that portion, Seeton told the website, is meant to be Jesus’ abdomen “showing distension” -- and not a penis.
“I’ve had people who have vocally said that that’s what they see there,” Seeton said.
“I’ve had people who have been just as vocal who said that’s not what they’re seeing there,” he added.
Calls to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Warr Acres, Okla., were not immediately returned.
A local artist who designed the crucifix had no comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Russia surprises America with accord on battling ISIS
- Panel discussion on Muslim vote bank in Bihar elections
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- BJP-led NDA predicted to win 147 seats in Bihar Assembly Elections: Survey
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country would not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- Can Lalu Prasad Yadav's elder son Tej be less in age than younger son Tejaswi?