Outrage over Oklahoma church’s display of Jesus with penis
Washington: Churchgoers in Oklahoma are reportedly outraged with a crucifix in a Catholic church that they say shows an image of genitalia on Jesus.
According to NewsOk.com, the crucifix, which hangs above the church’s main altar, has caused a deep divide among parishioners at St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.
“There are a couple people who have left the parish,” Fox News quoted Rev. Philip Seeton as telling the website.
“There are people in the parish who don’t like it and have stayed,” he said.
Some parishioners say that they have a problem with what appears to be a large penis covering Jesus’ abdominal area.
But that portion, Seeton told the website, is meant to be Jesus’ abdomen “showing distension” -- and not a penis.
“I’ve had people who have vocally said that that’s what they see there,” Seeton said.
“I’ve had people who have been just as vocal who said that’s not what they’re seeing there,” he added.
Calls to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Warr Acres, Okla., were not immediately returned.
A local artist who designed the crucifix had no comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof