Outrage over Oklahoma church’s display of Jesus with penis
Washington: Churchgoers in Oklahoma are reportedly outraged with a crucifix in a Catholic church that they say shows an image of genitalia on Jesus.
According to NewsOk.com, the crucifix, which hangs above the church’s main altar, has caused a deep divide among parishioners at St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.
“There are a couple people who have left the parish,” Fox News quoted Rev. Philip Seeton as telling the website.
“There are people in the parish who don’t like it and have stayed,” he said.
Some parishioners say that they have a problem with what appears to be a large penis covering Jesus’ abdominal area.
But that portion, Seeton told the website, is meant to be Jesus’ abdomen “showing distension” -- and not a penis.
“I’ve had people who have vocally said that that’s what they see there,” Seeton said.
“I’ve had people who have been just as vocal who said that’s not what they’re seeing there,” he added.
Calls to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Warr Acres, Okla., were not immediately returned.
A local artist who designed the crucifix had no comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- Film on 1983 World Cup win to give insights from dressing room
- Salman Khan, Anushka Sharma's 'Sultan' trailer leaves fans spellbound; earns 3 mn views in one day!
- Samsung Galaxy Tab Iris with 'iris recognition' launched in India at Rs 13,999
- JKLF chief Yasin Malik detained in Srinagar ahead of Thursday's shutdown
- IPL 2016: Revealed – This is Sunrisers Hyderabad's Mustafizur Rahman’s biggest fear!