Outrage over Oklahoma church’s display of Jesus with penis
Washington: Churchgoers in Oklahoma are reportedly outraged with a crucifix in a Catholic church that they say shows an image of genitalia on Jesus.
According to NewsOk.com, the crucifix, which hangs above the church’s main altar, has caused a deep divide among parishioners at St Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.
“There are a couple people who have left the parish,” Fox News quoted Rev. Philip Seeton as telling the website.
“There are people in the parish who don’t like it and have stayed,” he said.
Some parishioners say that they have a problem with what appears to be a large penis covering Jesus’ abdominal area.
But that portion, Seeton told the website, is meant to be Jesus’ abdomen “showing distension” -- and not a penis.
“I’ve had people who have vocally said that that’s what they see there,” Seeton said.
“I’ve had people who have been just as vocal who said that’s not what they’re seeing there,” he added.
Calls to St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church in Warr Acres, Okla., were not immediately returned.
A local artist who designed the crucifix had no comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SC rejects plea seeking ban on WhatsApp messaging app
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet approves pay hike for govt employees
- NIA busts ISIS module in Hyderabad; 11 arrested
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- From criticism to unconditional love: Argentine fans urge Lionel Messi not to quit
- SC dismisses PIL seeking ban on WhatsApp, other messaging apps
- Arvind Kejriwal accuses political parties in Goa of encouraging sex, drugs, prostitution
- Triple talaq issue to be examined on touchstone of Constitutional framework: SC
- Political parties in Goa encourage sex tourism: Kejriwal