Outrage over US Republican`s rape comment
Washington: A US lawmaker has sparked outrage by claiming that victims of ‘legitimate rape’ rarely get pregnant.
Republican Todd Akin, a Missouri congressman, said that ‘from what I understand from doctors’ women`s bodies naturally reject pregnancies that result from rape.
“First of all, from what I understand from doctors, [pregnancy from rape] is really rare. If it`s a legitimate rape, the female body has ways to try to shut that whole thing down,” Akin told a local television channel.
“But let`s assume that maybe that didn`t work or something. You know I think there should be some punishment, but the punishment ought to be on the rapist and not attacking the child,” he added.
He made the comments as he argued that abortion should be illegal even in cases of rape or incest, the Telegraph reports.
After facing widespread backlash on the Internet, Akin released a statement claiming that he had ‘misspoke’.
“In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it`s clear that I misspoke in this interview and it does not reflect the deep empathy I hold for the thousands of women who are raped and abused every year,” he said.
According to the paper, Akin`s comments may damages his chances of defeating the incumbent Democrat senator Claire McCaskill, who is a vulnerable target for Republicans in November`s elections.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to expand your existing business
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists, says Farooq Abdullah
- Prashant Bhushan questions Arvind Kejriwal on Lokpal through press conference
- UP: DM B Chandrakala participates in anti-riots drill in Bulandshahr
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Woman cop transferred within 24 hours of spat with Haryana minister Anil Vij
- Sheena Bora murder: Why did Indrani send servant to Kolkata to get illegal drugs?
- Women fit only to deliver children, gender equality un-islamic: Kerala Muslim leader
- Russian MP dies while ‘having sex’ inside car - Read
- Modi govt 'promoting Brahmanism' in the name of 'Hindu Rashtravad': Arundhati Roy