Palestinian groups hold more reconciliation talks
Damascus: Representatives of the rival Hamas and Fatah groups met in the Syrian capital Damascus on Tuesday in a second round of talks designed to try and narrow divisions that have damaged the Palestinian cause.
Officials said the talks, the second since September, would focus on the thorny issue of control of the Palestinian security apparatus, which has been divided between the Hamas-controlled Gaza Strip and the West Bank where Fatah operates.
Fatah is loyal to US-backed Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas, who has had turbulent relationship with Syria`s ruling hierarchy.
"We realize that reconciliation is a national Palestinian interest," said a Fatah official, rejecting Hamas accusations that Washington dictated Fatah`s moves.
The Fatah delegation included senior intelligence official Majid Farah, while deputy Hamas leader Moussa Abu Marzouk led his group`s side.
Journalists were kept away from the talks at a Hamas headquarters, unlike the first meeting in September when the two sides agreed to help revive Egyptian efforts to narrow divisions and made positive statements about prospects for reconciliation.
The security cooperation talks were originally scheduled for October, but were canceled after Abbas and Syrian President Bashar al-Assad exchanged angry words at an Arab summit over "resistance" against Israel.
Syria, a self-declared champion of the concept, hosts the exiled leadership of Hamas, which is also backed by Iran, but is seeking to regain the occupied Golan Heights from Israel through peace negotiations.
Talks between Israel and Abbas`s Palestinian Authority broke down when a 10-month partial Israeli freeze on settlement building in the West Bank expired in September.
Izzat al-Rishq, a member of the Hamas politburo, said last week that talks on security cooperation with Fatah could narrow Palestinian divisions but hinted that reconciliation was a long and complicated process.
The dispute between Hamas and the more secular Fatah has resulted in outside players -- Syria, Iran, Egypt and the United States -- exercising unprecedented influence over Palestinian politics.
Palestinian political commentator Ali Badwan said although Egypt, whose relations with Syria have soured, had allowed the talks to be held in Damascus, Cairo still held a large sway over the results through its support for Abbas.
Egypt borders the Gaza Strip, which Hamas has controlled since defeating Fatah forces in 2007, and is helping Israel impose a blockade on the impoverished territory.
"For the Egyptians, Gaza is a national security issue," Badwan said. "They watch Hamas` every move."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- CBSE XII Results 2015: 12th board exam results to be declared tomorrow