Panetta hopes Israeli general `correct` on Iran
Santiago: US Secretary of Defence Leon Panetta has said he hopes that statements from Israel`s military chief describing Iran`s leadership as rational were "correct”.
Israeli Lieutenant General Benny Gantz told the Haaretz newspaper on Wednesday that the Iranian leadership "is composed of very rational people”, and that while Tehran was reaching the point at which it could decide to build a nuclear bomb, the leaders had not yet decided whether to proceed.
"I would hope he`s correct and he knows something more that I do," Panetta said yesterday during a visit to Chile.
"I do not have any specific information that indicates (the Iranians) have made any decision one way or another" on whether to build a nuclear weapon, Panetta told reporters after meeting his Chilean counterpart Andres Allamand.
Neither Israel nor the United States currently believe that Tehran has actually taken the decision to develop a nuclear bomb, a decision that would require the ability to quickly produce weapons-grade uranium.
"I would like to hope... That because of the leadership of the United States, the international community and the leadership of Israel, they can make the right decision," Panetta said.
Israel and much of the West suspect Iran is using its civilian nuclear programme as a cover for a weapons drive -- a charge Tehran denies. Israeli officials have refused to rule out a pre-emptive strike on its chief foe`s nuclear facilities.
Panetta began his first Latin America tour Monday in Colombia, and then visited Brazil in a bid to boost military cooperation and regional security ties.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!