Peace talks vital for Israel, says Netanyahu
Jerusalem: Renewing negotiations with the Palestinians is "vital" for Israel, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu said on Sunday, after both sides agreed to lay the groundwork to resume talks frozen for three years.
"The resumption of the peace process is a vital strategic interest of the state of Israel," he said in a statement.
"It is important on its own to try to bring an end to the conflict between us and the Palestinians, and is important because of the challenges facing us, especially from Iran and Syria," he said.
Netanyahu`s remarks were his first reaction to the last night statement by US Secretary of State John Kerry, who said Israeli and Palestinian negotiators had agreed to meet to pave the way for a resumption of direct peace talks.
The last round of direct talks broke down in 2010 over the issue of Israeli settlement building in the West Bank and east Jerusalem.
Netanyahu also stated the two central goals he perceived for the talks: "Preventing a bi-national state... That would endanger the future of the Jewish state, and preventing the establishment of another Iranian-sponsored terrorist state within our borders."
He did not provide further details on what the sides had agreed upon ahead of the initial rounds of talks.
"I will insist on Israel`s security demands and its vital interests," Netanyahu`s statement said.
Speaking on privately-owned Channel 2 television, Israeli Justice Minister and chief peace negotiator Tzipi Livni noted that while there were no preconditions to talks, "everything will be on the table".
This would include the 1967 borders and east Jerusalem, which the Palestinians want as their future capital.
Earlier Saturday, Intelligence Minister Yuval Steinitz said Israel would release a "limited" number of Palestinian prisoners as a "gesture".
He said the staged release would be of a "limited number" of prisoners, some of whom he defined as "heavyweights", who have been in jail for periods of up to 30 years.
According to Israeli rights group B`Tselem, at least 4,713 Palestinians are imprisoned in the Jewish state.
Their release is one of the Palestinians` key demands for resuming peace talks, particularly the 107 prisoners arrested prior to 1993, when the Oslo peace accords were signed.
An Israeli official said no prisoners would be released before direct talks begin, and the process would then be dependent on the Palestinians proving they are "really serious and not playing games".
Kerry yesterday gave away very little detail of the agreement, which came after four days of consultations with Israeli and Palestinian leaders.
Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas has also repeatedly called for a freeze to Israeli settlement building on occupied land and a prisoner release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi