Plane crash in Siberia kills 31 of 43 on board
Moscow: A passenger plane crashed in Siberia shortly after taking off on Monday morning, killing 31 of the 43 people on board, Russian emergency officials said. The 12 survivors were hospitalised in serious condition.
The ATR-72, a French-Italian-made twin-engine turboprop, operated by UTair was flying from Tyumen to the oil town of Surgut with 39 passengers and four crew.
The aircraft went down on a snowy field outside Tyumen, a major regional centre in Siberia about 1,700 kilometres (1,000 miles) east of Moscow. The cause of the crash was not immediately clear.
UTair published a list of the passengers and crew, and none of them appeared to be foreigners.
The Emergency Situations Ministry first said 12 survivors were flown by helicopter to a Tyumen hospital, but that one of them had died. The ministry`s regional branch in Tyumen later said that a 12th survivor was in a village hospital and revised the death toll downward to 31.
Russia has seen a string of deadly crashes in recent years. Some have been blamed on the use of aging Soviet-era aircraft, but industry experts point to a number of other problems, including poor crew training, crumbling airports, lax government controls and widespread neglect of safety in the pursuit of profits.
Pilot error was blamed for a crash in Yaroslavl, a city 250 kilometres (150 miles) northeast of Moscow, in September that killed 44 people, including a professional hockey team.
Pilot error and fog also were ruled the main causes of a crash in April 2010 that killed Poland`s president and 95 other people as their plane was trying to land near Smolensk, in western Russia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says