Polygamy better than divorce: Oz mosque leader
Melbourne: A controversial Facebook post by a mosque leader in Australia, which suggests polygamy is better than divorce, has sparked off a controversy and calls for the woman to come forward and protest, according to a report.
“If your husband is telling you that he wants to take another wife and you are not doing the right thing by him, then know that he is thinking straight and using a weapon that doesn`t have severe consequences,” read the post by a Preston mosque leader.
The official website of the Preston Mosque posted the statement on its page, but has since have taken it down due to a backlash from Islamic groups, including the Islamic Council of Victoria.
Joumah El Matrah, the executive director for the Australian Muslim Women`s Centre for Human Rights, said she and a number of other people wanted to provide women with alternative advice because the ‘Muslim marriage is a partnership, it is not a woman serving a man’.
“We are deeply concerned by the advice provided by Preston Mosque; it reflects a poor understanding of marital discord in Muslim families,’’ The Age quoted Matrah, as saying.
Matrah said she is deeply concerned that such advice was being given since polygamy was not legal in Australia and did not reflect the growing push against it in Islamic countries.
She said the government was not contributing in any way to helping root out or eradicate polygamy, except to point out that it was an illegal practice.
Matrah also pointed out the government did not stop conservative mosques secretly pushing these views in Australia, and added that only in this case it has been exposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read