Polygamy better than divorce: Oz mosque leader
Melbourne: A controversial Facebook post by a mosque leader in Australia, which suggests polygamy is better than divorce, has sparked off a controversy and calls for the woman to come forward and protest, according to a report.
“If your husband is telling you that he wants to take another wife and you are not doing the right thing by him, then know that he is thinking straight and using a weapon that doesn`t have severe consequences,” read the post by a Preston mosque leader.
The official website of the Preston Mosque posted the statement on its page, but has since have taken it down due to a backlash from Islamic groups, including the Islamic Council of Victoria.
Joumah El Matrah, the executive director for the Australian Muslim Women`s Centre for Human Rights, said she and a number of other people wanted to provide women with alternative advice because the ‘Muslim marriage is a partnership, it is not a woman serving a man’.
“We are deeply concerned by the advice provided by Preston Mosque; it reflects a poor understanding of marital discord in Muslim families,’’ The Age quoted Matrah, as saying.
Matrah said she is deeply concerned that such advice was being given since polygamy was not legal in Australia and did not reflect the growing push against it in Islamic countries.
She said the government was not contributing in any way to helping root out or eradicate polygamy, except to point out that it was an illegal practice.
Matrah also pointed out the government did not stop conservative mosques secretly pushing these views in Australia, and added that only in this case it has been exposed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next