Pope works as usual on 84th birthday
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI spent his 84th birthday working, making appointments and receiving aides while wellwishers including Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II sent their greetings.
Benedict, who was born in the Bavarian town of Marktl am Inn, Germany, had a busy day on Saturday. He appointed an Italian bishop, and greeted Spain`s new ambassador to the Vatican with a speech defending religious freedom.
He met with Vatican cardinals, including the prelate heading the office for bishops in the week in which a former Belgian bishop caused an uproar by admitting in a TV interview he had sexually abused two nephews, conduct he likened to a "game”.
Sex abuse by clergy in many countries has been an issue for much of Benedict`s papacy.
He was elected pontiff three days after his 78th birthday in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH