Pope works as usual on 84th birthday
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI spent his 84th birthday working, making appointments and receiving aides while wellwishers including Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II sent their greetings.
Benedict, who was born in the Bavarian town of Marktl am Inn, Germany, had a busy day on Saturday. He appointed an Italian bishop, and greeted Spain`s new ambassador to the Vatican with a speech defending religious freedom.
He met with Vatican cardinals, including the prelate heading the office for bishops in the week in which a former Belgian bishop caused an uproar by admitting in a TV interview he had sexually abused two nephews, conduct he likened to a "game”.
Sex abuse by clergy in many countries has been an issue for much of Benedict`s papacy.
He was elected pontiff three days after his 78th birthday in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only?
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part II
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part III
- Why do politicians show concern about Dalits during elections only? Part IV
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- 'Dishoom' promotions: Jacqueline Fernandez can't wait to crack up on 'The Kapil Sharma Show'
- Google's latest app will bring Indian art and culture closer
- Hungary's Orban says "obvious connection" between terrorism and migration
- Parineeti Chopra is not part of 'Mubaraka'
- ITC Q1 net profit up 10% to Rs 2,385 crore