Pope works as usual on 84th birthday
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI spent his 84th birthday working, making appointments and receiving aides while wellwishers including Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II sent their greetings.
Benedict, who was born in the Bavarian town of Marktl am Inn, Germany, had a busy day on Saturday. He appointed an Italian bishop, and greeted Spain`s new ambassador to the Vatican with a speech defending religious freedom.
He met with Vatican cardinals, including the prelate heading the office for bishops in the week in which a former Belgian bishop caused an uproar by admitting in a TV interview he had sexually abused two nephews, conduct he likened to a "game”.
Sex abuse by clergy in many countries has been an issue for much of Benedict`s papacy.
He was elected pontiff three days after his 78th birthday in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ganga river crosses danger mark in UP, Bihar and West Bengal
- NDMC issues notices to President's Estate for mosquito breeding
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society
- DNA: Analysis of how Indian women's success in Olympics changed mindset of our society- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of loss caused by floods in India
- Asian Filmmaker award posthumously for Abbas Kiarostami at Busan
- Infosys denies laying off 500 people, says 'few' asked to leave for non-performance
- Vivek Oberoi to be trained by Daniel Craig's trainer
- Viral Video: Cheating man finds both girlfriends at same place, EXPOSED – See what happened next
- Xiaomi's smartphones sales in India up 72%