Pope works as usual on 84th birthday
Vatican City: Pope Benedict XVI spent his 84th birthday working, making appointments and receiving aides while wellwishers including Britain`s Queen Elizabeth II sent their greetings.
Benedict, who was born in the Bavarian town of Marktl am Inn, Germany, had a busy day on Saturday. He appointed an Italian bishop, and greeted Spain`s new ambassador to the Vatican with a speech defending religious freedom.
He met with Vatican cardinals, including the prelate heading the office for bishops in the week in which a former Belgian bishop caused an uproar by admitting in a TV interview he had sexually abused two nephews, conduct he likened to a "game”.
Sex abuse by clergy in many countries has been an issue for much of Benedict`s papacy.
He was elected pontiff three days after his 78th birthday in 2005.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city