Qaeda claims responsibility for Tuesday Iraq blast
An al-Qaeda militant group in Iraq on Wednesday claimed responsibility for Tuesday`s wave of bombings in central Iraq, which left 60 people killed.
Baghdad: An al-Qaeda militant group in Iraq on Wednesday claimed responsibility for Tuesday`s wave of bombings in central Iraq, which left 60 people killed.
An on-line statement from the so-called Islamic State of Iraq group said "what you received Tuesday was only the first stage, which by God`s willing will be followed by revenge for those whom you executed."
The statement also said Tuesday`s assaults were a response to Minister of Justice Hassan al-Shammari`s pledge to speed up executions of terrorists after his office building was attacked Thursday.
"The minister of justice of the Safavid government said he will seek to hasten the executions for the Sunni detainees," the statement said. The Safavid refers to the Iranian dynasty (1499- 1736) that established Shiite Islam in Iran as the state religion and frequently fought the Islamic Sunni world.
The authenticity of the statement cannot be immediately verified.
On Tuesday, a wave of deadly bombings mainly struck Shiite areas in the Iraqi capital of Baghdad and nearby towns, killing up to 60 people and wounding more than 200.
Violence is still common in Iraq nearly four months after its landmark parliamentary elections, which had been expected to reshape the political landscape of the war-torn country.