Rabbi David Hartman dies at 81
Jerusalem: Rabbi David Hartman, one of the world`s leading Jewish philosophers and a promoter of diversity among Jewish theological trends, has died.
He was 81.
The Shalom Hartman Institute, founded by the rabbi more than 30 years ago, said Hartman died today after a long illness.
The Brooklyn-born Hartman held rabbinical posts in the US and Canada before immigrating to Israel in 1971. He was known for his efforts to promote understanding between Jews of various affiliations both inside and outside Israel.
He was widely published and won numerous prizes, including the 1977 National Jewish Book Award.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions