Racy Catholic calendar angers Spain church leaders
Sant Joan: A Roman Catholic youth group in Spain came up with a risqué idea to raise money: pose nearly nude for a calendar recreating scenes from the Passion of Christ.
The group has almost sold out of the EUR 10 (USD 13) 2011 calendars and is considering another print run. But Mallorca`s Bishop Jesus Murgui is blasting the effort as showing disrespect for the most important Catholic date.
"The calendar trivialises Easter," the Bishop`s office said in an e-mail on Friday.
Members of the Davallament Catholic group of young adults say the calendar`s popularity shows they have support.
They paid EUR 1,500 for 300 calendars and will use profits to buy material for their work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Leander Paes, Sania Mirza advance at US Open
- Mild earthquake jolts Rajasthan, no damage reported
- Yakub Memon, Afzal Guru's executions were politically motivated: Justice AP Shah
- OROP stalemate to end soon, Govt's draft agreement ready, claim sources
- Sheena Bora case: This is how Indrani Mukerjea got idea to plot a 'perfect murder'