Report of gunman at MIT was a hoax
Massachusetts: An unfounded report of a gunman at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology that briefly caused a campus-wide lockdown stemmed from an electronic message sent to police, authorities said.
Officers searched for a man reported to be carrying a long rifle and wearing body armor but found nothing unusual, Cambridge police said. The report turned out to be a hoax, and there was no threat to public safety, state police spokesman David Procopio said yesterday.
Cambridge police received the tip in an electronic chat message around 7:30 am, but witnesses on the scene eventually contradicted it, spokesman Dan Riviello said. MIT sent two emergency alerts via text message, urging people to stay indoors. Less than an hour later, police posted on Twitter that the scene was clear.
Investigators are trying to identify the prankster and will pursue criminal charges if they do, Riviello said. He declined to provide additional details or confirm reports that the IP address used by the prankster has been traced to New York, saying "as it is an active and ongoing investigation, I cannot release any additional information at this time."
About 11,000 people attend the prestigious school outside Boston where students are famous for their smarts as well as their stunts, including once putting a police car on top of a domed campus building.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price