Retrial for Amanda Knox, Raffaele Sollecito for Meredith Kercher`s murder
Perugia: Italy`s highest court has ordered a retrial for the United States citizen Amanda Knox and her former boyfriend Raffaele Sollecito on Tuesday for the murder of Knox`s Briton housemate Meredith Ketcher.
The duo was convicted for Ketcher`s murder and was sentenced for 26 years and 25 years respectively. However, after four years in jail, they made an appeal in 2011 and were later released by an appellate court, as per a BBC news report.
Knox is a US citizen and currently lives in Seattle and cannot be forced to return. If convicted, Italy can seek her extradition, as per report.
The retrial will take place at the appeal court in Florence.
The 21 years old Briton student was found murdered and semi-naked in 2001 inside an apartment she shared with Knox when they were both students in Perugia.
Knox and co-defendant Sollecito were convicted in 2009 of sexually assaulting and murdering Kercher, who was stabbed to death in her bedroom. Knox was sentenced to 26 years in prison, Sollecito to 25. They both denied wrongdoing.
The trial has captivated audiences worldwide: Knox, the 24-year-old American, and Sollecito, a soft-spoken Italian, were convicted of murdering a fellow student in what the lower court said had begun as a drug-fueled sexual assault.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- UP polls: Polling for fifth phase of Assembly elections today
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- WATCH: MS Dhoni rips apart bowlers to smash brilliant 129-run knock in Vijay Hazare Trophy