Row over disputed islands: China lodges protest with Japan
Beijing: Tensions mounted between China
and Japan today as the Foreign Ministry summoned Tokyo`s
Ambassador here and lodged a protest over the "interception of
Chinese fishing boats" by Japan`s patrol vessels off the
disputed Diaoyu islands.
Chinese Vice Foreign Minister Song Tao summoned
Japanese ambassador Niwa Uichiro and lodged solemn
representations on Japan`s interception of Chinese fishing
boats, state run Xinhua news agency reported.
Two Japanese patrol boats collided with a Chinese
fishing boat in waters off the Diaoyu islands earlier in the
day, the agency reported.
"Song urged the Japanese patrol boats to stop their
illegal interception against Chinese fishing boats," it said.
Earlier, Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Jiang
Yu expressed grave concern over the incident saying the Diaoyu
islands and its adjacent islets had been Chinese territory
since ancient times.
"We have lodged solemn representations with the
Japanese side," she told a media briefing here replying to a
question on the collision, which happened earlier today.
No injuries were reported from the incident.
China urged Japanese patrol boats against any
"so-called law enforcement activities" in waters off the
Diaoyu islands and to refrain from taking any actions that
would threaten the security of Chinese fishing boats and their
crew, Jiang said.
"We will closely follow the situation and reserve our
right to take further action," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- Tourists flock to Manali as snowfall takes a short break
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing