Russia condemns Ukraine protests as `coup attempt`
Moscow: Russia condemned the deadly unrest in neighbouring Ukraine as a coup attempt on Wednesday, with President Vladimir Putin blaming the opposition for the biggest escalation in three months of anti-government protests.
"In the president`s opinion, all the responsibility for what is happening now in Ukraine lies specifically with extremists," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said, cited by the RIA Novosti news agency.
"Their actions can be seen and are seen in Moscow exclusively as an attempted coup d`etat," he said.
At least 26 people died in clashes between protesters and police that began in Kiev`s main protest square on Tuesday.
In a separate statement, the foreign ministry called on the opposition to immediately end the violence.
"The Russian side demands that the leaders of the `square` end the bloodshed in their country," the ministry said.
It also urged opposition leaders to "immediately renew dialogue with the lawful authorities without threats and ultimatums."
Calling Ukraine a "brother" country, the ministry added: "We will use all our influence to restore peace and calm."
Speaking during a visit to Kuwait, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov accused Western powers of meddling in Ukrainian affairs.
"We are cautioning against attempts at intrusive mediation. We have seen such attempts more than once. I think our European partners have done quite enough mediating," he said at a press conference, cited by the Interfax news agency.
Kremlin spokesman Peskov said Putin and his embattled Ukrainian counterpart Viktor Yanukovych had a "telephone conversation last night".
But he denied claims that Putin was pulling strings in the crisis and reiterated that Moscow would not interfere.
"Russia`s president never has and does not give advice to his Ukrainian colleague about what to do, and how... and does not plan to give such advice in the future," the spokesman said.
"The position of the Russian leadership and the Russian president on the Ukrainian events is to await a speedy resolution of this situation," he added.
"How this resolution takes place from the point of view of the Russian president is exclusively the prerogative of the legitimate authorities."
Yanukovych in November scrapped a trade deal with the European Union in favour of closer ties with Russia, horrifying those Ukrainians who favour EU integration and prompting the first street protests.
In December, Yanukovych visited Moscow and secured a $15 billion bailout deal and a huge price cut for Russian gas.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- West Bengal Board Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 announced
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh