Russia successfully test-launches ballistic missile
Moscow: Russia on Saturday successfully test
launched its Bulava inter-continental ballistic missile to its
maximum range of 8,000 km, in a boost to the country`s defence
The missile was fired successfully by the White sea-based
Russian nuclear submarine Yuri Dolgoruky, the Defence Ministry
The successful launch of the Bulava came after a string of
setbacks suffered by this programme. Only eight of its
previous 15 launches were officially declared successful.
"The regular launch of the missile was conducted at 7:20
am Moscow time from a submerged position from the regular
carrier in line with the state flight development tests at a
maximum flight range of the missile," a defence ministry
spokesman was quoted as saying by Russian news agency Ria
The missile successfully reached its target in the Pacific
Ocean in accordance with the necessary shipping security
measures, the spokesman said.
The successful test of the missile was reported to
President Dmitry Medvedev by the defence minister Anatoly
The Bulava, expected to become Russia`s main naval
strategic missile, is capable of carrying 10 warheads with a
range of 8,000 km.
The first test launch from the Yuri Dolgoruky was
conducted on June 28, 2011. Before that the missiles were
fired from the typhoon-class Dmitry Donskoy submarine.
The three-stage missile is specifically designed for
deployment on Borey class nuclear submarines.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate
- Entire Indian force can't defend Kashmir from terrorists: Farooq Abdullah
- ISL 2015: NorthEast United FC vs Delhi Dynamos - Preview