Russia tightens security for Polish embassy
Moscow: Moscow police have stepped up security at the Polish embassy in connection with fighting and rumours of further clashes between Russian and Polish football fans in Warsaw.
"Security measures have been increased due to the possibility of hooligan incidents," a police spokesperson said.
Dozens of people were injured when Polish fans attacked Russians marching through Warsaw to celebrate the June 12 Russia Day national holiday. Police fired tear gas and rubber bullets in an attempt to restore order.
Two Russian fans have so far been jailed for two and three months over their part in the brawl and another four remain behind bars as they await trial. Over 150 Polish fans were detained and just over 20 Russians.
The violence came as Russia and Poland met in a group match at the Euro 2012 championship, co-hosted by Poland and Ukraine. The game ended 1-1.
Russia`s Kommersant newspaper said on Friday, citing a member of a Moscow-based hooligans group, that a group of people was heading to Poland to seek revenge for the Russia Day attack.
Russian fans were also involved in trouble during their first game at the tournament, when a group of fans allegedly hurled racist insults at Czech black defender Theodor Gebre Selassie and threw flares onto the pitch. Fans also unfurled nationalist banners.
UEFA subsequently hit Russia with a suspended six-point penalty for the qualifying stage for the Euro 2016 tournament, to be enforced in the event of a repetition of similar events.
Russia meet Greece in Warsaw on Saturday. Anything but a defeat will see them make the last eight.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!