Russia wary of deeper nuclear arms cuts
Moscow: Russia`s top military officer has voiced scepticism about deeper nuclear arms cuts, saying they should require parallel cuts in non-nuclear precision weapons.
Thursday’s statement by chief of Russia`s military General Staff, Gen Valery Gerasimov, appeared to signal the Kremlin`s reluctance to negotiate a new nuclear arms deal with Washington.
US President Barack Obama has pledged to work with Moscow to seek further reductions in nuclear arsenals. But Russia, which has increasingly relied on its nuclear deterrent due to a relative weakness of its conventional forces, appears concerned about the US edge in precision weapons.
While he did not mention the United States, Gerasimov appeared to refer to US plans to fit conventional warheads to some of its long-range missiles. He said that such weapons should be part of arms control talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore