Russia wary of deeper nuclear arms cuts
Moscow: Russia`s top military officer has voiced scepticism about deeper nuclear arms cuts, saying they should require parallel cuts in non-nuclear precision weapons.
Thursday’s statement by chief of Russia`s military General Staff, Gen Valery Gerasimov, appeared to signal the Kremlin`s reluctance to negotiate a new nuclear arms deal with Washington.
US President Barack Obama has pledged to work with Moscow to seek further reductions in nuclear arsenals. But Russia, which has increasingly relied on its nuclear deterrent due to a relative weakness of its conventional forces, appears concerned about the US edge in precision weapons.
While he did not mention the United States, Gerasimov appeared to refer to US plans to fit conventional warheads to some of its long-range missiles. He said that such weapons should be part of arms control talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How to develop good communication skills for a successful life?
- Curfew lifted from 4 districts of Kashmir valley
- Recently launched Pokemon Go gaining extreme popularity among users
- Rajnath Singh meets J&K CM Mehbooba Mufti to discuss current situation in valley
- AAP MLA Amantulla Khan arrested for misbehaving with a woman
- Amaal Mallik excited about his 'Baar Baar Dekho' track
- Gael Monfils to face Ivo Karlovic in Washington Open final
- Olympics 2016: IOC faces historic call on Russia Rio ban
- Kashmir unrest over Burhan Wani's killing: Curfew lifted from these four districts - FULL DETAILS
- Salman Khan plans a special birthday party for alleged girlfriend Iulia Vantur? - Know more