Russia wary of deeper nuclear arms cuts
Moscow: Russia`s top military officer has voiced scepticism about deeper nuclear arms cuts, saying they should require parallel cuts in non-nuclear precision weapons.
Thursday’s statement by chief of Russia`s military General Staff, Gen Valery Gerasimov, appeared to signal the Kremlin`s reluctance to negotiate a new nuclear arms deal with Washington.
US President Barack Obama has pledged to work with Moscow to seek further reductions in nuclear arsenals. But Russia, which has increasingly relied on its nuclear deterrent due to a relative weakness of its conventional forces, appears concerned about the US edge in precision weapons.
While he did not mention the United States, Gerasimov appeared to refer to US plans to fit conventional warheads to some of its long-range missiles. He said that such weapons should be part of arms control talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India successfully test fires futuristic Scramjet Rocket Engine
- Modi govt plans Rs 2,000 crore package for refugees from PoK
- Watch: Baloch, Sindhi leaders hold joint protest against CPEC in London
- India in Olympics: PM Modi forms task force to improve Indian sports
- Watch: President confers Khel Ratna to PV Sindhu, Sakshi, Dipa and Jitu Rai