Russia wary of deeper nuclear arms cuts
Moscow: Russia`s top military officer has voiced scepticism about deeper nuclear arms cuts, saying they should require parallel cuts in non-nuclear precision weapons.
Thursday’s statement by chief of Russia`s military General Staff, Gen Valery Gerasimov, appeared to signal the Kremlin`s reluctance to negotiate a new nuclear arms deal with Washington.
US President Barack Obama has pledged to work with Moscow to seek further reductions in nuclear arsenals. But Russia, which has increasingly relied on its nuclear deterrent due to a relative weakness of its conventional forces, appears concerned about the US edge in precision weapons.
While he did not mention the United States, Gerasimov appeared to refer to US plans to fit conventional warheads to some of its long-range missiles. He said that such weapons should be part of arms control talks.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan?
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part II
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part III
- Will India's strategies change over issues with Pakistan? - Part IV
- Exclusive: Home Minister Rajnath Singh in conversation with Sudhir Chaudhary
- Donald Trump slams Barack Obama for not mentioning Pearl Harbour attack
- Zee Media Exclusive: BJP will do better than 2014 in 2019 General Elections, says Rajnath Singh
- French prosecutor considering Qatar 2022 World Cup investigation
- Japanese investors keen to invest in India's infra growth story: Arun Jaitley
- PM Narendra Modi's mother given Nari Jagran Samman 2016 award