Russian court rejects Stalin grandson`s libel suit
Moscow: A Russian court has reportedly
rejected a USD 388,000 libel suit filed by the grandson of
Joseph Stalin against a radio station which said the former
dictator had "strangled small children."
Stalin`s grandson Yevgeny Dzhugashvili demanded 11
million roubles in compensation for the comment made by
journalist Nikolai Svanidze on a show aired last year on
liberal Ekho Moskvy (Moscow Echo) radio station.
The journalist on May 21, 2010, show said Stalin
"strangled small children," but later pointed out he was
"The court rejected our lawsuit, though we expected a
surefire win," Dzhugashvili`s lawyer Leonid Zhura was quoted
as saying by RIA Novosti today.
Svanidze in his defence said he was referring to an
order signed by Stalin in which he allowed the shooting of
children, over 12 years, who were accused of being "enemies of
Rejecting the suit, the judge ruled journalists should
have the right to express their opinion freely, without fear
of being drawn to court.
This was not the first lawsuit filed by Dzhugashvili
against Ekho Moskvy and other Russian media outlets.
In December 2009, he filed similar cases against the
radio station after one of its journalists said no "b*****d"
would dare justify Stalin for sanctioning the killing of
Dzhugashvili had also lost previous cases against Ekho
Moskvy and the liberal Novaya Gazeta newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Planning parenthood through surrogacy? Things you need to know
- When Muslim men chanted `Hindustan Zindabad`, `Pakistan Murdabad` slogans on Hyderabad roads – Watch
- US warns EU ahead of Apple tax evasion ruling
- Facebook, Twitter, Google failed to tackle terrorism: Panel
- Conversion of forest land the reason behind weakening of monsoon: Research