Russian court rejects Stalin grandson`s libel suit
Moscow: A Russian court has reportedly
rejected a USD 388,000 libel suit filed by the grandson of
Joseph Stalin against a radio station which said the former
dictator had "strangled small children."
Stalin`s grandson Yevgeny Dzhugashvili demanded 11
million roubles in compensation for the comment made by
journalist Nikolai Svanidze on a show aired last year on
liberal Ekho Moskvy (Moscow Echo) radio station.
The journalist on May 21, 2010, show said Stalin
"strangled small children," but later pointed out he was
"The court rejected our lawsuit, though we expected a
surefire win," Dzhugashvili`s lawyer Leonid Zhura was quoted
as saying by RIA Novosti today.
Svanidze in his defence said he was referring to an
order signed by Stalin in which he allowed the shooting of
children, over 12 years, who were accused of being "enemies of
Rejecting the suit, the judge ruled journalists should
have the right to express their opinion freely, without fear
of being drawn to court.
This was not the first lawsuit filed by Dzhugashvili
against Ekho Moskvy and other Russian media outlets.
In December 2009, he filed similar cases against the
radio station after one of its journalists said no "b*****d"
would dare justify Stalin for sanctioning the killing of
Dzhugashvili had also lost previous cases against Ekho
Moskvy and the liberal Novaya Gazeta newspaper.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered