Russian military probes $1 mn Space Forces fraud
Moscow: Russian military prosecutors are investigating a suspected embezzlement of over 30 million rubles (about $1 million) at the Space Defence Forces (SDF), authorities said on Monday.
According to Chief Military Prosecutor`s Office, 18 months ago, sub-standard equipment that showed signs of repair and included components manufactured over 20 years ago was presented as new and delivered to an SDF unit under a state contract, the office said.
A criminal case has been opened on fraud charges.
The revelation is the latest in a recent string of scandals at the defence ministry involving suspected fraud.
Several people employed by the Oboronservis defence property services company were arrested late last year on suspicion of fraud totalling over 13 billion rubles ($430 million) involving the illegal sale of ministry property.
The then defence minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, resigned over that scandal last November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH