Russian military probes $1 mn Space Forces fraud
Moscow: Russian military prosecutors are investigating a suspected embezzlement of over 30 million rubles (about $1 million) at the Space Defence Forces (SDF), authorities said on Monday.
According to Chief Military Prosecutor`s Office, 18 months ago, sub-standard equipment that showed signs of repair and included components manufactured over 20 years ago was presented as new and delivered to an SDF unit under a state contract, the office said.
A criminal case has been opened on fraud charges.
The revelation is the latest in a recent string of scandals at the defence ministry involving suspected fraud.
Several people employed by the Oboronservis defence property services company were arrested late last year on suspicion of fraud totalling over 13 billion rubles ($430 million) involving the illegal sale of ministry property.
The then defence minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, resigned over that scandal last November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Maggi samples found unsafe: Delhi government
- DNA: Analysis of Vijay Mallya's 'fund transfer formula'
- IMD forecasts 'deficient' Monsoon, drought-like conditions expected
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- China ship carrying 458 on board sinks in Yangtze River: Five dead, hundreds missing