Russian military probes $1 mn Space Forces fraud
Moscow: Russian military prosecutors are investigating a suspected embezzlement of over 30 million rubles (about $1 million) at the Space Defence Forces (SDF), authorities said on Monday.
According to Chief Military Prosecutor`s Office, 18 months ago, sub-standard equipment that showed signs of repair and included components manufactured over 20 years ago was presented as new and delivered to an SDF unit under a state contract, the office said.
A criminal case has been opened on fraud charges.
The revelation is the latest in a recent string of scandals at the defence ministry involving suspected fraud.
Several people employed by the Oboronservis defence property services company were arrested late last year on suspicion of fraud totalling over 13 billion rubles ($430 million) involving the illegal sale of ministry property.
The then defence minister, Anatoly Serdyukov, resigned over that scandal last November.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- 'Selfie with daughter' controversy: Bollywood supports Shruti Seth