Russian PM vows to clear ruling party of spoilers
Moscow: Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has pledged to clear the ruling United Russia party of irresponsible members who damage its image.
"Our party members and leaders are not saints at all. We should make decisions if such problems emerge. If some people who accidentally became party members behave in a way that throws a shadow on the rest in the party structures, we should get rid of these people," Medvedev said.
United Russia`s image has suffered a serious blow as a result of last December`s parliamentary vote, in which the party gained almost half of the vote, but which the opposition said was marred by massive fraud in favour of United Russia.
Large-scale protests took place across the country following the elections, with demonstrators demanding that the vote results be cancelled and new elections held.
Medvedev took over the party leadership from Vladimir Putin when Putin returned to the Kremlin in May, replacing Medvedev as President.
Unlike Putin, who led the party without being its member, Medvedev officially joined the party and has promised to work to improve its tarnished image.
United Russia currently enjoys support of 44 percent of Russians, according to the latest public opinion survey conducted by state-run VTsIOM pollster July 21-22.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know