Saldanha inquest delayed till September, Aussie DJ to appear
London/Melbourne: One of the two Australian radio jockeys involved in a prank phone call to a UK hospital treating a pregnant Kate Middleton, that apparently led to the suicide of Jacintha Saldanha, on Monday said she will appear at the now-delayed inquest into the India-born nurse`s death.
RJ Mel Greig has decided to appear at the British inquest into Saldanha`s death, that was today adjourned till September.
Greig`s announcement came after The Sunday Times yesterday reported that 46-year-old Saldanha had left a hand-written note blaming Greig and her fellow DJ Michael Christian for her death.
The proceedings to examine the events leading up to the death of Saldanha found hanged in her room days after receiving a hoax call relating to a pregnant Kate, were due to begin at Council House Chambers in London on Thursday.
Saldanha`s body also had marks on her wrist and an initial inquest hearing had found no suspicious circumstances into her death.
"It is now scheduled for September 12. The delay is to do with issues about paperwork," a Westminster Coroner`s Court spokesperson said.
Greig said that she was "determined to answer any questions surrounding her role in these tragic events" and would appear at the inquest in person or by video link.
"Ms Greig wants the family to know she will answer any questions the coroner or the family`s lawyers may have," her lawyers, Slater & Gordon, said in a statement.
"Ms Greig fully understands their need for answers, which is why she has taken this step to appear as an individual at the inquest. She is determined to address any questions surrounding her role in these tragic events as part of the inquest," the statement added.
Her colleague Christian, who resumed broadcasting work in February, has said he does not intend to make an individual statement.
Grieg`s statement comes a day after `The Sunday Times` reported that Saldanha had directly blamed the two radio jockeys for her death.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof