Saudi brothers beheaded for murder
Riyadh: Two brothers sentenced to death for
murdering a fellow Saudi were decapitated by the sword in the
city of Jeddah on Monday, the interior ministry said.
Mohammed and Selim al-Madhiribi al-Shamali were convicted
of hitting Saad al-Madhiribi on the head with a hammer and
then stabbing him to death in a business dispute, it said in a
statement carried by the state news agency SPA.
Their beheadings took to 19 the total number of
executions in the ultra-conservative kingdom so far this year,
according to a tally based on official reports.
At least 76 people sentenced to
death were beheaded in 2011, while rights group Amnesty
International put the number of executions last year at 79.
The death penalty is handed down in Saudi Arabia, which
applies strict sharia (Islamic) law, for a wide range of
offences including rape, apostasy, armed robbery and drug
trafficking as well as murder.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore