Saudi: Now female staff to sell women`s lingerie
Jeddah: From Thursday, only female staff will
be able to sell women`s lingerie in Saudi Arabia, ending
decades of awkwardness in the ultra-conservative Muslim
kingdom where women are expected to don black cloaks at all
times out of the home.
"I and many other women like me were always embarrassed to
walk into lingerie shops because men were selling the goods,"
said Saudi shopper Samar Mohammed.
She said that in the past she often bought the wrong
underwear "because I was sensitive about explaining what I
wanted to a man."
A royal decree issued by King Abdullah in June last year
over the objections of top clerics gave lingerie shop owners
six months to get rid of their male employees and staff their
stores with women only.
The ban on male staff is to be extended to cosmetics shops
"This is an order from the king," Labour Minister Adel
"All preparations are under way to fully implement this
decision," he said, adding that more than 7,300 retail outlets
would be affected by the ban on male staff, creating job
opportunities for more than 40,000 Saudi women.
The labour ministry`s original proposal to allow women to
work in lingerie stores sparked a storm of protest from the
kingdom`s top clerics three years ago. They issued a fatwa, or
religious decree, barring women from any such work.
Women, who for years had complained about being forced to
buy their underwear from men, hit back with a campaign on
Facebook called "Enough Embarrassment."
"The embarrassment has ended," the activists` page proudly
proclaimed this week.
The campaign`s founder, Fatima Garoub, welcomed the
implementation of the new law and said that despite initial
hesitations among retailers, "they are now responding
positively, especially since they have no choice."
Another Saudi activist, Reem Asaad, who launched a
campaign to boycott lingerie shops that employ male sales
staff, said her efforts were aimed at "sending a message to
"This is about social awareness... The king had a strategy
to support women in the workforce... Our demands have been
realised," Asaad said.
The strict segregation of the sexes outside the home that
is enforced in Saudi Arabia by the kingdom`s powerful
religious police means that women are effectively barred from
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly