Scouts` `Kate Middleton` kidnap condemned
London: A Scout troop is under fire for posing as terrorists after staging a mock kidnap of a girl playing Prince William`s fiancee Kate Middleton, the Daily Telegraph reported.
Balaclava-clad Scouts kidnapped a teenager playing Middleton before going on a training exercise to find her, the newspaper reported.
Nearly 300 children aged between 11 and 15 were involved in the event, which was designed to foster map-reading skills, the broadsheet said.
They were from a Scout group based in Amersham.
Older Scouts played the parts of the prince and his bride to be, before she was abducted. The Scouts then hunted for clues on a 12-mile trek to find her.
Ros Aitken, a member of Amersham Town Council, said she was shocked.
"I`m horrified that something like this has taken place," she said.
"It does sound inappropriate."
But the event`s organiser, Brian Shelley, told the paper: "The Scouts loved it and found it very amusing.
"Nobody raised any concerns on the day, so I`m surprised to hear there were any."
The quest was harmless fun and simply an idea to mark the royal wedding, he said.
Another local councillor, Davida Allen, told The Telegraph: "I think the Scout movement is fabulous, but it does seem a bit of a strange way to do a search and rescue task."
Clarence House office declined to comment.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi addresses the nation during Maan Ki baat
- Delhi police arrests BSF personnel, ISI operative for espionage
- Kerala's Sunni religious leader calls gender equality ‘un-Islamic’
- Maharashtra: Shani Shignapur temple purifies after woman offers oil
- Panel discussion on P Chidambaram's remarks over ban on 'The Satanic Verses'
- Muslims worldwide had celebrated after 9/11: Donald Trump
- Had Sardar Patel become PM, India would have been another Pakistan, says Kancha Ilaiah
- Reptile fossil explains how snakes lost their legs
- Video: India won't tolerate disrespect to national anthem – this Mumbai family learnt it the hard way
- Watch: Boy dies after falling from a Mumbai local train – video maker is guilty too!