Serbia issues arrest warrant for suspected Nazi
Belgrade: Serbia has issued an international warrant for the arrest of an alleged Nazi war crimes suspect who lives in the United States.
A Serbian court said on Friday that 88-year-old Peter Egner is suspected of war crimes against Jews in Belgrade during the German occupation of Serbia in World War II.
Egner allegedly had served in a Nazi unit that killed about 17,000 civilians in 1941 and 1942. Serbian prosecutors say the unit used a specially designed van in which they gassed the victims with carbon monoxide.
Egner lives in a retirement community outside Seattle. The US authorities have moved to revoke his US citizenship, saying he had lied about his past in the application in 1960s.
Egner has denied any wrongdoing.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dengue cases on the rise in Delhi - Is the govt waiting for another epidemic?
- JNU student accuses fellow PhD scholar and AISA member of rape
- Sukhoi 30MKI posted in Arunachal Pradesh; Kiren Rijiju lauds development
- Olympic medalist PV Sindhu returns to Hyderabad; receives grand welcome
- Twelve-year-old ISIS suicide bomber caught and arrested in Iraq