Shimon Peres tells Barcelona players they`re `messengers of peace`
Jerusalem: Israeli President Shimon Peres on Sunday praised Lionel Messi and his fellow Barcelona stars as "messengers of peace" as they made a brief visit to Israel and the Palestinians territories.
"Israeli and Palestinian children dream of two goals," Peres told the visitors in remarks broadcast on public radio. "Scoring the winning goal at Camp Nou, and the great goal of peace."
The players and staff arrived on yesterday on their "Peace Tour" and travelled to the West Bank city of Bethlehem to visit the Church of the Nativity, where Jesus is believed to have been born.
After meeting Palestinian president Mahmud Abbas at his Ramallah headquarters they held a football clinic near the southern West Bank town of Dura.
Today they visited Jerusalem`s walled Old City to stand at the Western Wall, the holiest site at which Jews can pray.
After a reception at Peres`s Jerusalem residence, the team was due later to give a coaching session to Israeli youngsters in Tel Aviv.
Peres, who turned 90 on Friday, is to deliver the opening kick.
"Barca is more than just a club," he said at the reception.
"You became each of you messengers of peace."
"Sport, and football in particular, breaks down barriers," he added. "In football there are no victims but always hope for the next match."
The training sessions are organised by the Peres Centre for Peace as well as the Israeli and Palestinian football federations.
In October 2012, Barcelona caused controversy when former Israeli soldier Gilad Shalit, held for five years on the Gaza Strip, was invited to watch the Classico match between Barca and Real Madrid.
It was a decision which sparked calls for a boycott of the Catalan club.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM