Beijing: Six people were killed and over three lakh affected in China`s Guizhoui province after a downpour triggered flash floods and mudslides.
Six people were killed and 304,853 residents affected in four cities and prefectures as of Monday, the provincial civil affairs department said.
A total of 2,594 people were evacuated and more than 1,000 houses had been damaged or collapsed. About 10,242 hectares of crops were damaged as well, Xinhua reported.
According to rough estimates, the rainstorms caused direct economic losses of 30.9 million yuan (USD 4.8 million).
In neighbouring Hunan province, 19 cities and counties were battered by rainstorms lasting from yesterday to today.
About 1.12 lakh people had been affected and 26,000 people evacuated in Huitong county, which borders Guizhou province.
The county is believed to have suffered direct economic losses of 230 million yuan.
About 5,666 hectares of crops were damaged and 2,050 houses were toppled, while traffic on national highways, power supplies and communication lines in the county have been disrupted by the rainstorms.
Rain-triggered floods also killed two people in Yushan county in east China`s Jiangxi province last Saturday, the county government said.
Continuous rainstorms that began last Friday had affected 367,900 people and toppled 980 houses in Jiangxi, the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters said.