Six killed, 3 lakh due to heavy rains in China
Beijing: Six people were killed and over three lakh affected in China`s Guizhoui province after a downpour triggered flash floods and mudslides.
Six people were killed and 304,853 residents affected in four cities and prefectures as of Monday, the provincial civil affairs department said.
A total of 2,594 people were evacuated and more than 1,000 houses had been damaged or collapsed. About 10,242 hectares of crops were damaged as well, Xinhua reported.
According to rough estimates, the rainstorms caused direct economic losses of 30.9 million yuan (USD 4.8 million).
In neighbouring Hunan province, 19 cities and counties were battered by rainstorms lasting from yesterday to today.
About 1.12 lakh people had been affected and 26,000 people evacuated in Huitong county, which borders Guizhou province.
The county is believed to have suffered direct economic losses of 230 million yuan.
About 5,666 hectares of crops were damaged and 2,050 houses were toppled, while traffic on national highways, power supplies and communication lines in the county have been disrupted by the rainstorms.
Rain-triggered floods also killed two people in Yushan county in east China`s Jiangxi province last Saturday, the county government said.
Continuous rainstorms that began last Friday had affected 367,900 people and toppled 980 houses in Jiangxi, the provincial flood control and drought relief headquarters said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan
- 'Intolerance brigade' attacks Zee News' #FatehKaFatwa host Tarek Fateh - WATCH