Slovenian opposition seeks to impeach President
Ljublbana: Slovenian opposition parties on Thursday filed an impeachment motion against President Danilo Turk, the first since the small alpine country declared independence in 1991.
But observers said the move -- which came after Turk awarded a state decoration to the former head of the communist secret police, Tomaz Ertl -- was unlikely to succeed.
"The President violated the Constitution by awarding a state decoration to Tomaz Ertl who is directly responsible for human rights violations (during the former communist regime)," the centre-right Slovenian Democratic Party (SDS) and Slovenian Popular Party (SLS) said in a joint statement on Thursday.
"Parliament should ask the constitutional court to remove Turk from the President`s post," SDS leader and former prime minister Janez Jansa also told journalists.
Turk, who was attending the World Economic Forum meeting in Davos, Switzerland, did not react to the news.
But his cabinet responded in a statement that it was "an offence to the President`s institution”.
"The impeachment motion is not founded. The President did not violate the Constitution nor any law," it said.
Centre-left Prime Minister Borut Pahor also defended Turk`s right to choose whom to reward and added this could hardly be the ground for impeachment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH