South Sudan joins UN as 193rd member
United Nations: Oil-rich South Sudan, the
world`s newest nation, on Thursday also became the newest member of
the United Nations after being voted in by the world body as
its 193rd member.
The UN General Assembly admitted by acclamation South
Sudan as its newest member.
"I declare South Sudan a member of the United
Nations," said Joseph Deiss, president of the UN General
The Security Council had yesterday recommended that
South Sudan be admitted in the United Nations as its latest
member. South Sudan`s flag will now fly at the UN headquarters
in New York.
Independence for South Sudan comes seven years after
it signed a peace agreement in 2005 to end a decades long war
with its now neighbour, Sudan.
While the countries have split, both nations are still
trying to resolve border disputes.
Following a referendum in which the people of South
Sudan voted overwhelmingly for a split, the new nation
formally declared its independence on July 9.
The UN will be sending peacekeeping missions to the
country to beef up security there, as well as to the oil-rich
disputed district of Abyei.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks