Spain celebrates most austere National Day in recent yrs
Madrid: Spain celebrated its National Day Friday with a slimmed-down military parade that reflected a sharp reduction in the budget for the event amid tough austerity.
With no aerial exhibition, without tanks or armoured cars and with the participation of some 2,600 soldiers - 400 fewer than last year - the parade went off more quietly and with less emotion than in previous years.
As every year, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia presided over the event, accompanied by Crown Prince Felipe and his wife, Princess Letizia.
Mariano Rajoy, attending his first parade as prime minister, was greeted in silence by the public, instead of with the traditional whistles and boos endured by predecessor Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero during his last years in office.
The parade kicked off with the national anthem being played, followed by a solemn tribute to the flag and to those fallen in the line of duty, which ended with the Aguila (Eagle) patrol flying overhead, streaking the sky with the colours of the Spanish flag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- India will be 'Congress-free' if BJP keeps nation 'drought-free': Sanjay Raut
- AgustaWestland VVIP chopper scam: Parent firm Finmeccanica yet to be formally blacklisted, says report
- PCB clears Younis Khan after accepting his apology
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net for Chhattisgarh Board CGBSE 10th X Class High School (HS) Exam Results 2016
- #CongressPlanningRiots is trending on Twitter. Here's why