Spain celebrates most austere National Day in recent yrs
Madrid: Spain celebrated its National Day Friday with a slimmed-down military parade that reflected a sharp reduction in the budget for the event amid tough austerity.
With no aerial exhibition, without tanks or armoured cars and with the participation of some 2,600 soldiers - 400 fewer than last year - the parade went off more quietly and with less emotion than in previous years.
As every year, King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia presided over the event, accompanied by Crown Prince Felipe and his wife, Princess Letizia.
Mariano Rajoy, attending his first parade as prime minister, was greeted in silence by the public, instead of with the traditional whistles and boos endured by predecessor Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero during his last years in office.
The parade kicked off with the national anthem being played, followed by a solemn tribute to the flag and to those fallen in the line of duty, which ended with the Aguila (Eagle) patrol flying overhead, streaking the sky with the colours of the Spanish flag.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800