Spain: Ibiza firefighters grapple with beach blaze
Madrid: Every firefighter on the Spanish resort island of Ibiza mobilised on Monday to tackle a blaze near a beach that had forced the evacuation of 1,200 partygoers, emergency services said.
"The fire remains active," a spokesman for the island`s emergency services said.
Around 1,200 people who had gathered on the beach in Benirras bay for a party were evacuated on Sunday evening, including by boat, because they risked being cut off by the blaze.
According to initial estimates, the fire covered an area of around 100 hectares (250 acres) in the north of the Mediterranean island.
Every firefighter on the island was mobilised, and reinforcements drafted in from the neighbouring island of Majorca.
Several of those evacuated had light injuries, the spokesman said, without specifying exactly how many were hurt or the nature of the injuries.
Around a dozen homes near the beach were also evacuated, while public television TVE reported on Sunday that the fire had reached a parking lot, with up to 20 cars caught by the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vodafone reports better-than-expected 2.2% rise in Q1 revenue
- Ranbir, Anushka all set to shoot romantic rain sequence
- 7th Pay Commission: CBSE chief R K Chaturvedi gets additional charge of implementation cell
- PM Modi lays foundations stone of AIIMS Gorakhpur, reopens sick fertiliser plant
- Get 75% concession on AC train tickets; know more about such concessions