Spain: Ibiza firefighters grapple with beach blaze
Madrid: Every firefighter on the Spanish resort island of Ibiza mobilised on Monday to tackle a blaze near a beach that had forced the evacuation of 1,200 partygoers, emergency services said.
"The fire remains active," a spokesman for the island`s emergency services said.
Around 1,200 people who had gathered on the beach in Benirras bay for a party were evacuated on Sunday evening, including by boat, because they risked being cut off by the blaze.
According to initial estimates, the fire covered an area of around 100 hectares (250 acres) in the north of the Mediterranean island.
Every firefighter on the island was mobilised, and reinforcements drafted in from the neighbouring island of Majorca.
Several of those evacuated had light injuries, the spokesman said, without specifying exactly how many were hurt or the nature of the injuries.
Around a dozen homes near the beach were also evacuated, while public television TVE reported on Sunday that the fire had reached a parking lot, with up to 20 cars caught by the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- J&K: Teams named after militants in cricket tournament
- Laser walls activated along Indo-Pak border to keep vigil against terrorists
- Haji Ali Dargah row: Trupti Desai wants support of Aamir, Salman, SRK
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Check cgbse.nic.in, www.cgbse.net 10th HS Results 2016 Chhattisgarh CG Board, CGBSE today at 10 AM
- Pakistani Sikhs open temple after 73 years, risking attacks
- 20 killed in Syria regime strike on Aleppo
- Donald Trump vows `America first` foreign policy
- Salah Abdeslam slapped with terror charges over Paris attacks