Spain: Ibiza firefighters grapple with beach blaze
Madrid: Every firefighter on the Spanish resort island of Ibiza mobilised on Monday to tackle a blaze near a beach that had forced the evacuation of 1,200 partygoers, emergency services said.
"The fire remains active," a spokesman for the island`s emergency services said.
Around 1,200 people who had gathered on the beach in Benirras bay for a party were evacuated on Sunday evening, including by boat, because they risked being cut off by the blaze.
According to initial estimates, the fire covered an area of around 100 hectares (250 acres) in the north of the Mediterranean island.
Every firefighter on the island was mobilised, and reinforcements drafted in from the neighbouring island of Majorca.
Several of those evacuated had light injuries, the spokesman said, without specifying exactly how many were hurt or the nature of the injuries.
Around a dozen homes near the beach were also evacuated, while public television TVE reported on Sunday that the fire had reached a parking lot, with up to 20 cars caught by the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh