Spain: Ibiza firefighters grapple with beach blaze
Madrid: Every firefighter on the Spanish resort island of Ibiza mobilised on Monday to tackle a blaze near a beach that had forced the evacuation of 1,200 partygoers, emergency services said.
"The fire remains active," a spokesman for the island`s emergency services said.
Around 1,200 people who had gathered on the beach in Benirras bay for a party were evacuated on Sunday evening, including by boat, because they risked being cut off by the blaze.
According to initial estimates, the fire covered an area of around 100 hectares (250 acres) in the north of the Mediterranean island.
Every firefighter on the island was mobilised, and reinforcements drafted in from the neighbouring island of Majorca.
Several of those evacuated had light injuries, the spokesman said, without specifying exactly how many were hurt or the nature of the injuries.
Around a dozen homes near the beach were also evacuated, while public television TVE reported on Sunday that the fire had reached a parking lot, with up to 20 cars caught by the blaze.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites