Spanish doctor kidnapped in Nigeria set free
Madrid: Spanish physician Jose Manuel Machimbarrena, kidnapped in Nigeria on April 04, has been freed and is in good health though "pretty tired", officials at Spain`s Foreign Ministry said on Saturday.
The 58-year-old doctor was set free on Friday by his captors at an unidentified location, and is now back in the southern Nigerian city of Enugu where he has lived for many years.
The circumstances under which he was released and whether any ransom was paid have not yet been made clear.
In recent years, Enugu has suffered a growing number of abductions, mostly carried out to demand ransom money.
The problem became so serious in 2009 that the federal government enacted a law making kidnapping at gunpoint a crime punishable by death.
In a communiqué to the media on Saturday, the Nigerian police said that Machimbarrena "looks well, healthy and happy", and is currently back with the "hospital community" in Enugu.
The note also said that Nigerian security forces have stepped up "the search for the outlaws" who kidnapped him and whose identity is unknown.
Dr Machimbarrena, director of clinical services at the Niger Foundation Hospital, an Opus Dei project, has lived in Nigeria since 1978.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- DNA: Analyzing the harmful effects of selfies
- Report of a taxi driver who lends helping hand to patients in Mumbai
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog