Strauss-Kahn case set for dismissal
New York: Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn may get a final reprieve on indictment on sexual assault charges with New York`s prosecutors calling lawyers of
the hotel maid for talks that could lead to the dismissal of the case.
Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R Vance Jr has
decided to ask a judge to dismiss the case, `New York Times`
If the judge dismisses the indictment, Strauss-Kahn will
be free to return to France, and the decision to drop the
charges will bring to an end one of the most closely watched
prosecutions in decades.
Nafissatou Diallo, the maid and her attorney Kenneth
Thompson are due to meet New York prosecutors today, for a
meeting which Thompson himself said he believed was called to
tell Diallo that all or some of the charges would be dropped.
Diallo, a 32-year-old immigrant from the West African
country of Guinea, had accused Strauss-Kahn of sexually
abusing her in a Manhattan hotel.
If the defence lawyers and prosecutors come to an
understanding, the outcome would leave Diallo with no recourse
to pursue criminal charges against 62-year-old Strauss-Kahn,
an enormously powerful international banker and a leading
candidate for the French Presidency till the charges by the
maid bought his career to an almost deadend.
But Diallo has also filed a civil lawsuit seeking
unspecified damages from former IMF chief for what the suit
called "violent and sadistic attack", that humiliated and
Unless there is a postponement, Times said only two
options remain for tomorrow`s hearing, prosecutors telling the
judge they plan to go ahead with the case or prosecutors
moving to dismiss charges.
Strauss-Kahn has pleaded not guilty to all charges
against him including "criminal sexual act, unlawful
imprisonment, and attempted rape." He is currently free on
bail, but his passport has been confiscated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks