Strauss-Kahn case set for dismissal
New York: Former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn may get a final reprieve on indictment on sexual assault charges with New York`s prosecutors calling lawyers of
the hotel maid for talks that could lead to the dismissal of the case.
Manhattan district attorney, Cyrus R Vance Jr has
decided to ask a judge to dismiss the case, `New York Times`
If the judge dismisses the indictment, Strauss-Kahn will
be free to return to France, and the decision to drop the
charges will bring to an end one of the most closely watched
prosecutions in decades.
Nafissatou Diallo, the maid and her attorney Kenneth
Thompson are due to meet New York prosecutors today, for a
meeting which Thompson himself said he believed was called to
tell Diallo that all or some of the charges would be dropped.
Diallo, a 32-year-old immigrant from the West African
country of Guinea, had accused Strauss-Kahn of sexually
abusing her in a Manhattan hotel.
If the defence lawyers and prosecutors come to an
understanding, the outcome would leave Diallo with no recourse
to pursue criminal charges against 62-year-old Strauss-Kahn,
an enormously powerful international banker and a leading
candidate for the French Presidency till the charges by the
maid bought his career to an almost deadend.
But Diallo has also filed a civil lawsuit seeking
unspecified damages from former IMF chief for what the suit
called "violent and sadistic attack", that humiliated and
Unless there is a postponement, Times said only two
options remain for tomorrow`s hearing, prosecutors telling the
judge they plan to go ahead with the case or prosecutors
moving to dismiss charges.
Strauss-Kahn has pleaded not guilty to all charges
against him including "criminal sexual act, unlawful
imprisonment, and attempted rape." He is currently free on
bail, but his passport has been confiscated.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India