Successful heart surgery for Australia`s Rudd
Brisbane: Roving Australian Foreign Minister Kevin Rudd went under the knife on Monday for heart surgery, with the four-hour operation deemed a success.
Rudd, who was ousted as the country`s leader by his Labor Party deputy Julia Gillard just over a year ago, needed to replace an aortic valve that his doctors advised him was "wearing out".
It follows a valve transplant almost two decades ago and he had always known he would likely need another.
"At this stage we`re extremely pleased with his progress. The surgery has gone according to plan and he is in a stable and very satisfactory situation," his cardiologist Dr Malcolm Davison told reporters.
"We expect a full and complete recovery by about eight weeks."
The surgery, at Brisbane`s St Andrews War Memorial Hospital, was considered routine by doctors with Rudd`s new heart valve coming from a cow.
Rudd is expected to be out of action for at least two months with Trade Minister Craig Emerson assuming the responsibilities of foreign minister until he returns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's speech at Gorakhnath temple
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- BJP MLA Vikram Saini accused of voicing controversial statement
- Fateh Ka Fatwa: Is it time to introduce reforms in Muslim laws?
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?