Sudan Army, Darfur rebel clash kills 17: Military
Khartoum: Darfur rebels attacked a Sudanese Army supply convoy in the insurgents` mountainous Jabel Marra stronghold, leaving at least 17 people dead, the military said.
No one was immediately available for comment from the rebels group named by the military -- a faction of the Sudan Liberation Army (SLA) loyal to Abdel Wahed al-Nur which walked out of peace talks in 2006 and has refused to return.
Fighting has rumbled on for eight years in the remote western territory in the face of a string of failed ceasefires, international pressure and campaigns from celebrity activists.
"The Sudanese Army was attacked by a force of Abdel Wahed in Rokoro Tuesday. The Army forced them to withdraw. About 15 of them were killed and two from the Sudanese Army," said military spokesman Al-Sawarmi Khaled.
Khaled said the Army had been taking military equipment to its base in Rokoro in Jabel Marra, a territory in the centre of Darfur that is one of the main remaining strongholds of the SLA.
The mostly non-Arab rebel group launched the Darfur revolt alongside the insurgent Justice and Equality Movement in 2003, accusing Sudan`s government of starving the region of resources.
Sudan`s government mobilised troops and mostly Arab militias to crush the uprising.
The International Criminal Court has issued arrest warrants for Sudan`s President Omar Hassan al-Bashir, on charges of masterminding genocide and war crimes during the counter-insurgency campaign.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- SP leader seeks RS seat for Yakub's wife, sacked
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Exclusive chat with Bajrangi Bhaijaan's Munni aka Harshaali Malhotra
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Mumbai: Woman pushed off from running local train by robbers
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Delhi's graduate beggar – The amount he earns will shock you!
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security