Sudan Army says it was attacked in border hotspot
Khartoum: Sudan`s Army says rival southern forces have attacked its troops as they were pulling out of the contested region of Abyei along the north-south border.
Abyei has long been a hotspot, with both the north and south staking claim to the fertile oil-producing area. Fears are rising that a new conflict could ignite there as Southern Sudan prepares to become the world`s newest country.
Earlier this month, the northern and southern governments agreed to deploy a joint north-south force in Abyei after withdrawing their separate units, which have stoked tensions in the region.
Sudan`s Army spokesman Sawarmi Khaled said on Friday that northern troops were ambushed by the southern army and suffered "huge losses”. He says his side reserves the right to retaliate.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you