Sudan Prez declares 2-week truce in South Kordofan
Khartoum: Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir
on Tuesday declared a two-week ceasefire in South Kordofan state
which has been rocked since June by violent clashes between
the Sudanese army and Nuba rebels.
"I declare a unilateral two-week ceasefire," Bashir said
in a speech broadcast on state radio during his visit to
Kadugli, the capital of the state of South Kordofan.
After the two-week truce "we will assess the developments
on the ground as well as the reaction of the other party," he
South Kordofan remained under Khartoum`s northern
administration when South Sudan became independent last month,
but violent clashes have been pitting Nuba rebels once allied
to southern rebels against the Sudanese army.
It is located on the border between Sudan and the new
state of South Sudan.
A report prepared jointly by the UN High Commissioner for
Human Rights and the world body`s mission in Sudan details
"extrajudicial killings, arbitrary arrests and illegal
detention, enforced disappearances and attacks against
civilians" allegedly committed in the troubled South Kordofan
The report released last week covers the period between
June 5 and 30.
"If substantiated (the allegations) could amount to
crimes against humanity, or war crimes for which individual
criminal responsibility may be sought," the report said of the
Sudan dismissed the report as being "biased."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray