Sudan rebels say UN base not targeted in fatal shelling
Khartoum: Sudanese rebels on Saturday admitted shelling the state capital of troubled South Kordofan but said they were not targeting a UN base where a peacekeeper was killed.
The Sudan People`s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) also denied it was trying to disrupt a regional football tournament scheduled to start on Tuesday in the capital Kadugli.
Rebel spokesman Arnu Ngutulu Lodi told AFP the shelling occurred on Friday while insurgents advanced from the west of the town.
"We are going to liberate the city," he said, claiming that the rebels captured a military compound during their action.
Sudan`s army spokesman could not be reached.
The United Nations Security Council and UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack which left an Ethiopian peacekeeper dead and two others wounded.
They belonged to the UN`s Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), a nearby area disputed by Sudan and South Sudan. UNISFA has a logistics base in Kadugli.
"This is unexpected," Lodi said of the incident, adding the rebels were targeting a Sudanese military facility.
The UNISFA base is near the stadium which is to host the CECAFA Club Cup for east and central Africa.
"We don`t have any intention to disturb" the event, Lodi said.
Khartoum accuses neighbouring South Sudan of backing the SPLM-N, a charge the South denies.
Tensions between the two countries escalated this week, endangering a vital oil deal.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- LG Electronics posts 415% increase in Q1 profit
- Apple to open its stores in India as govt panel waves 30% local sourcing condition
- Film with Alia Bhatt not typical hero-heroine one: Shah Rukh Khan
- IPL 9: Mumbai Indians vs Kolkata Knight Riders – Probably playing XIs; players to watch out for
- Amazing! Village in China painted with 3D colours to attract tourists; See PICS