Sudan rebels say UN base not targeted in fatal shelling
Khartoum: Sudanese rebels on Saturday admitted shelling the state capital of troubled South Kordofan but said they were not targeting a UN base where a peacekeeper was killed.
The Sudan People`s Liberation Movement-North (SPLM-N) also denied it was trying to disrupt a regional football tournament scheduled to start on Tuesday in the capital Kadugli.
Rebel spokesman Arnu Ngutulu Lodi told AFP the shelling occurred on Friday while insurgents advanced from the west of the town.
"We are going to liberate the city," he said, claiming that the rebels captured a military compound during their action.
Sudan`s army spokesman could not be reached.
The United Nations Security Council and UN chief Ban Ki-moon condemned the attack which left an Ethiopian peacekeeper dead and two others wounded.
They belonged to the UN`s Interim Security Force for Abyei (UNISFA), a nearby area disputed by Sudan and South Sudan. UNISFA has a logistics base in Kadugli.
"This is unexpected," Lodi said of the incident, adding the rebels were targeting a Sudanese military facility.
The UNISFA base is near the stadium which is to host the CECAFA Club Cup for east and central Africa.
"We don`t have any intention to disturb" the event, Lodi said.
Khartoum accuses neighbouring South Sudan of backing the SPLM-N, a charge the South denies.
Tensions between the two countries escalated this week, endangering a vital oil deal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Indrani Mukerjea's three plans to kill Sheena Bora
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- Baby girl still in hospital after 76 days, mother denies relationship with baby
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- When Indrani Mukerjea broke down on meeting her daughter Vidhie