Sudan stages new Darfur air strikes: UN
United Nations: Sudanese government
warplanes have staged new air strikes in Darfur, prompting the
United Nations to halt flights in the stricken region, UN
officials said on Wednesday.
The UN mission in Darfur, UNAMID, said in a statement
that warplanes yesterday hit the village of Sukamir, which is
near Kuma, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) north of the main
Darfur city of El Fasher.
That air attack came two days after a strike in the
south of the conflict-stricken region, where the United
Nations says more than 300,000 people have died since an
uprising started in 2003.
"The team will attempt to collect information on
possible casualties and newly displaced persons," according to
the statement, which said UNAMID peacekeepers were trying to
UN flights to the regions of Shangil Tobaya, Fanga Suk
and neighbouring regions in North Darfur have been suspended
"due to government officials citing security concerns," said
Meanwhile, restrictions on the movement of aid groups
have led to the cancellation of a number of humanitarian
missions in South Darfur, the mission added.
Sudanese warplanes on Sunday bombed the town of Labado
and the village of Esheraya in southern Darfur, according to
the UN. Casualty numbers could not be given as the mission had
not been given access to the Labado region.
Ibrahim Gambari, the UNAMID head, expressed concern
over the air strikes.
"I call upon all parties to exercise the utmost
restraint in the use of lethal force," he said.
Non-government groups and UN agencies operating in
south Sudan were told Tuesday by the Sudanese government that
they would be limited to a zone of 15 kilometres (10 miles)
around the town of Nyala, UNAMID said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!