Sudan stages new Darfur air strikes: UN
United Nations: Sudanese government
warplanes have staged new air strikes in Darfur, prompting the
United Nations to halt flights in the stricken region, UN
officials said on Wednesday.
The UN mission in Darfur, UNAMID, said in a statement
that warplanes yesterday hit the village of Sukamir, which is
near Kuma, about 100 kilometres (60 miles) north of the main
Darfur city of El Fasher.
That air attack came two days after a strike in the
south of the conflict-stricken region, where the United
Nations says more than 300,000 people have died since an
uprising started in 2003.
"The team will attempt to collect information on
possible casualties and newly displaced persons," according to
the statement, which said UNAMID peacekeepers were trying to
UN flights to the regions of Shangil Tobaya, Fanga Suk
and neighbouring regions in North Darfur have been suspended
"due to government officials citing security concerns," said
Meanwhile, restrictions on the movement of aid groups
have led to the cancellation of a number of humanitarian
missions in South Darfur, the mission added.
Sudanese warplanes on Sunday bombed the town of Labado
and the village of Esheraya in southern Darfur, according to
the UN. Casualty numbers could not be given as the mission had
not been given access to the Labado region.
Ibrahim Gambari, the UNAMID head, expressed concern
over the air strikes.
"I call upon all parties to exercise the utmost
restraint in the use of lethal force," he said.
Non-government groups and UN agencies operating in
south Sudan were told Tuesday by the Sudanese government that
they would be limited to a zone of 15 kilometres (10 miles)
around the town of Nyala, UNAMID said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested